Floors wear out over time. Tiles can become cracked, wooden floors can warp, and the carpet gets dirty. However, some flooring options can withstand the tests of time and provide easy cleaning. For example, epoxy flooring is one of the best flooring solutions currently available.
Anyone can opt for epoxy flooring, whether you’re looking for installation in a residence or commercial space. If you’re looking for an affordable, high-quality, ultra-durable floor, epoxy is the answer. Keep reading to find out more about epoxy resin, the pros and cons, and installation.
What is Epoxy?
Epoxy is a two-part flooring solution made from hardeners combined with polymer resin. When a professional mixes these two parts, there is a “pot life,” or an amount of time that the epoxy remains wet and therefore flexible. Said professional must install it during that time.
When the polymer resin and hardeners combine, they create chemical bonds with one another and the floor itself. As the epoxy essentially bonds itself to the floor so tightly that it won’t chip or peel. Epoxy flooring is perfect for home and business owners looking to update their floors.
What are the Pros and Cons of Epoxy Flooring?
Let’s break down the best and the worst of epoxy floor or coatings.
- Epoxy is a much more affordable option than other available floor coatings.
- You can overlay epoxy on more than just concrete floors with proper preparation (such as wood or metal floors).
- Epoxy is extremely strong. It resists impact, stains, and moisture.
- Epoxy flooring keeps your floors looking beautiful and new for several years.
- You can customize epoxy flooring to whatever color or effect that you want. Epoxy can even mimic marble when installed correctly.
- The versatility of epoxy means you can use it for multiple floor types, such as business lobbies, living rooms, garages, outdoor spaces, and more!
- Epoxy flooring is great for residential, commercial, and industrial spaces.
- Installing epoxy at temperatures lower than 60 °F causes epoxy to dry slowly and is not recommended.
- Most epoxy installations take 18-24 hours to cure enough that you can walk on them, though it can take 30 days for them to fully dry.
- Without a UV-resistant topcoat, epoxy can yellow over time.
How Do You Install Epoxy?
At TAGG Concrete Coatings, we adhere to a six-step process. The steps are as follows:
- Grind It: We prep the floor for epoxy by grinding and cleaning it to ensure the strongest adhesion possible.
- Repair It: If there are any cracks or holes in the floor, we repair them to ensure a smooth appearance.
- Coat It: We apply a self-priming polyurea base coat and let it set.
- Flake It: If you opt for epoxy flakes, we apply the polymer flakes during this step. We can create other unique looks based on preference, such as metallic epoxy.
- Scrape It: We then scrape excess flakes off the floor. The floor must be completely level to finish the installation process, so we also perform a quality control check.
- Seal It: Finally, we apply a topcoat. Our company puts a UV-stable polyaspartic topcoat over the epoxy to ensure durability and resistance.
If you opt for TAGG Concrete Coatings, you can walk on your floor after only 6-8 hours. We will finish before you know it!
Though epoxy is a coating typically installed on top of concrete floors, there is a difference between an epoxy topcoat and a floor. Only epoxy coatings that are more than 2mm thick are considered floors. Anything less is just a coating, which offers slightly less protection.
Important Things to Know and Avoid During Installation
Though you may find some companies provide cheap installation prices, be careful. They may either lack the proper certification to install epoxy or use flimsy materials.
Epoxies that are 30-40% solids dry with 30-40% less thickness than higher-quality 90-100% solid epoxies. Though these epoxies are much cheaper, they will wear out quicker and provide less protection.
Floors that are not concrete take longer to prep, as they require a seal before the epoxy is applied. The installation also requires several layers of epoxy to create a fully-formed floor or coating.
Where to Get High-Quality Epoxy Flooring in Charlotte, NC
If you are looking for a state-of-the-art epoxy system, contact TAGG Concrete Coatings. We offer a one-day installation service and a 15-year warranty on all our epoxy flooring. We install a garage, patio, pool deck, and other coatings.
Our business services Wake Forest, NC, and the surrounding communities. Call us at (919) 439-8879 for your free quote today.