Are you the proud new owner of a polyurea-coated garage floor? Congratulations! You’ve chosen a floor coating that provides superior protection against the wear and tear of daily life.
Now you need to learn how to maintain that beautiful finish for years of long-lasting durability. As a trusted provider of garage floor coatings in Wake Forest, we know a thing or two about this topic. Read on to learn our top tips for preserving your polyurea surfaces in perfect condition.
Clean Your Surfaces Regularly
Regular cleaning remains one of the most essential steps to protect your polyurea garage coating. When you leave dirt and debris on the floor, it can cause scratches and other damage that will eventually lead to chips or peels. Some of our favorite cleaning equipment includes:
- Soft bristle brooms: A simple push broom can help remove debris without causing damage. You can tell if the bristles are soft enough by checking if they easily bend when you press down.
- Microfiber dust mops: If you prefer not to use a broom, microfiber dust mops provide another great and simple cleaning option. Their easy-glide design makes them perfect for sweeping dirt and debris from your garage floor. Don’t forget to throw the mop head in the washer when it becomes too grimy.
- Traditional mops: Every few months or so, it’s a good idea to refresh your garage floor with a traditional mop and water. This practice will help keep dirt, oil, and other stubborn residues from building up on the surface.
Immediately Remove Spills
From leaking vehicle oil to pet messes, your garage floor will likely experience a few spills and stains. As soon as you notice one, use a soft cloth or paper towel to soak up as much of the liquid as possible.
Then, apply a gentle solution to clean and disinfect the area. We recommend one part Simple Green diluted with eight parts warm water. This cleaner can tackle most household messes without the need for harsh chemicals or scrubbing.
Another cleaner you can use is Windex. Make a solution with three parts water and one part Windex, then apply it with a soft cloth. Always test out a small area first and thoroughly rinse the area when finished.
Know How To Address Heavy Buildup or Tough Stains
If you haven’t cleaned your garage floor in a while or find yourself dealing with a particularly stubborn mark, you can use hot water to tackle the problem. Simply pour some on the affected area and use a microfiber or foam mop to agitate and scrub the spot. If your hose has a pressure nozzle, this can also help remove tough grime and dirt.
What about the most extreme cases? If you have to deal with a heavily soiled or stained garage floor, then it’s time to break out the big guns: clear ammonia. Dilute 1/2 cup of solution in a gallon of warm water and use it to scrub away the dirt and grime.
Be sure to wear gloves when handling this cleaner and keep pets and children away from the area until it completely dries.
Avoid These Products When Cleaning Polyurea Surfaces
While garage floor coatings have naturally high chemical resistance, some types of cleaning products can damage the finish. Avoid using these materials when cleaning your floor:
- Soaps: Soaps tend to leave a thin, unsightly film on your polyurea coating. While they don’t damage the material, they can cause coated floors to appear hazy or dull.
- Bleach: Alkali cleaners like bleach can be difficult to thoroughly rinse off the surface, leaving behind residue that will dull and harm your coating over time.
- Vinegar: Harsh acids like vinegar can potentially eat away at the surface of your garage floor coatings, creating unsightly etches and discoloration.
Other Steps To Keep Your Garage Floor Looking Its Best
Aside from regular cleaning, you can take a few other steps to preserve the beauty and integrity of your coated concrete surfaces. These include the following:
Keep the Floor Dry
Though polyurea coatings are extremely resistant to moisture, prolonged exposure can still cause issues like discoloration or mildew. Whenever possible, try to keep your floor dry and mop up any spills as soon as possible.
Regularly Check for Signs of Wear
Make it a point to inspect your floor monthly for any scratches, discoloration, or other damage. This will help you catch any issues early and fix them before they worsen. Our experts can assess your floor and recommend any necessary repairs or maintenance.
Avoid Dragging Heavy Equipment Across the Surface
Not only will this scratch and damage your coating, but it can also cause the floor to become uneven over time. Use mats or towels to pick up and move heavy machinery.
Your Trusted Source for Garage Floor Coatings in Wake Forest
We hope this blog post has armed you with the knowledge you need to properly care for your garage floors. At TAGG Concrete Coatings, we believe in empowering our customers with knowledge and providing them with the best possible products and services. We also offer 15-year warranties on chipping and peeling, so you know your floor is in good hands.
If you want to discuss garage floor coatings further, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (919) 439-8879. We look forward to hearing from you.